Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The featured artist for the end of May is Neighborhood Blonde.



Greetings! My name is Shelly Picard, and I'm the creator of Neighborhood Blonde. I started Neighborhood Blonde four years ago after realizing that creating had become more of a passion than the word "hobby" encompassed. I have always been a creator, as were my mom and both of my grandmothers. Although there were times during my childhood that "DIY" was more out of necessity than desire, I always marveled at how my mom could figure out how to recreate just about anything she encountered. And I loved trailing behind her at fabric stores, touching the bolts she touched, learning about the different kinds of textiles and dreaming of what they could become.


Today I create upcycled and recycled personal and household goods. I believe that just because an item is recycled, it doesn't have to look used. It's what I call eco-chic. Many of my creations are paper based, such as notebooks from product boxes and found paper, dishwasher magnets, wine bottle tags, and cards with vintage elements. I also use papers with soy-based inks and recycled content as much as possible. 

Other upcycled items include cards made from floppy disks and books, pillows from vintage chenille bedspreads & vintage fabric, and flowers made with vintage sewing patterns, knitting needles and buttons. In addition to creating environmentally friendly items, I also knit. I knit scarves, cowls, fingerless gloves, and wash cloths. Knitting provides a soothing calm at the end of a hectic day.    

If you want to see more or have any questions for me, please visit me at www.NeighborhoodBlonde.com or my Facebook page. Until then, thanks for taking a walk around my neighborhood!                 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment