Sunday, March 23, 2014

Meet Your Makers: Courtney Duzyk of Clumsy Creative Designs



Please introduce yourself and tell us about your handmade business:  I'm Courtney Duzyk of Clumsy Creative Designs. I create hand cut paper artwork.
 
How did you come up with your business name?  Anyone who knows me knows that I'm kind of a klutz. Clumsy Creative just came naturally in naming my business!


Where do you live?  I live in the East End of Pittsburgh. 

 If you could sit down and talk to any person, living or dead, who would it be and why? 
I'd love to sit down and talk to Lotte Reiniger. She was a German artist and animator, and her work inspired my film studies and my papercut work as well. She was a pioneer of the craft. 


What inspires you?  I'm inspired by Pittsburgh and the craft and art scene that continues to grow here. I've met so many amazing artists here. We still have a way to go, but I love what's happening here. 

 
What is your favorite item you make for Boutique 208 and why?  I love creating the hearts and leaf papercuts. They're fun to make and each one is different. 

 

What is your favorite item at Boutique 208 that’s not one of your own and why?  I love the cards by John the Craftist, and the hand-knit items from Neighborhood Blonde. It's really hard to choose just one thing, though, because there are some amazing artists at the Boutique!

What advice can you offer to someone who would like to start selling their handmade creations?  The best advice I've been given is to stay true to your vision and don't be afraid to stick to your guns. Artists have to be their own advocates.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment