Monday, March 31, 2014

Meet Your Makers: Karen Sturgeon of Tree Buds


Please introduce yourself and tell us about your handmade business:  My name is Karen Sturgeon and my business name is Tree Buds.

How did you come up with your business name?  I knew I wanted something to do with trees, etc. since my business is largely wood working, however, I was at a stumbling block for a name.  I asked my neighbors and one of them came up with Tree Buds - not only is it about trees, and the promise of new things (buds), but my dog's name is Buddy and it was a natural fit for me.


Where do you live?  South of Pittsburgh
 

Who’s in your family?  Just me and my dog, Buddy!  He's a little guy who really enjoys sitting on the lawn and watching my all spring/summer/fall as I work in the driveway and garage creating my items.


 

If you could sit down and talk to any person, living or dead, who would it be and why?  For some strange reason, I always wanted to talk with Albert Einstein.  I always wondered how he first came up with some of the ideas for his inventions - in other words, did they just "pop" into his head, or was it a long process.




What inspires you?  For many years, I was in a job where there was no creativity involved...now, I have the chance to really let my creative juices flow and I'll see something that I could work with, come up with a concept, and think to myself, "I have to try that NOW."



What is your favorite item you make for Boutique 208 and why?  Well, I have many favorites, but the favorite of my customers seems to be the beer caddys.  Often you don't find many "gifts for men" that are in handmade stores and this is one that men really appreciate.



What is your favorite item at Boutique 208 that’s not one of your own and why?  I love Nicole Bloch's bicycle chain items!

What advice can you offer to someone who would like to start selling their handmade creations? 
As much as you want to offer something that you like, make sure that customers like it too.... it is a business!

No comments:

Post a Comment